Thursday, January 5, 2012

Food Not Bombs Compilations

In this post, I'd like to present two Food Not Bombs compilations released in the 90's. Hardcore and related music bands came together and wanted to raise awareness of what's going on: Countries, and I think foremost the USA, spend so much money on wars all over world instead of fighting homelessness, starvation, society's ills etc. To me the ideas of these compilations represents what punk stands for: being active, raise awareness and actually just give a fuck about what's going on. To just fucking do something. What personally bothers me is that this sense of goodwill has been a bit decreasing in the new millennium. Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a political essay now, and that's why I'm just going to present the two compilations.


The "Food Not Bombs Benefit Record" was released around 1996 or 1997 by the Canada based label Anima. It offers a whole lot of music styles. Personally, why I got to know this compilation was because of the Anomie songs. However, there are other notable bands too: Palatka, Inso Grey and Constatine Sankathi are my other favourites on this LP.

VA - Food Not Bombs Benefit Record (1996)
01. Anomie - Alienation
02. Anomie - Remise en cause, révolution, dilemme
03. Palatka - The Bus Ride
04. Palatka - Washington Park
05. Palatka - The Truth About San Diego
06. Kahode - Falling Down
07. Inso Grey - Lying Vines
08. Inso Grey - BBQ
09. Holocron - To Be Part Of A Group
10. Sixpence - Only The Faces Have Changed
11. Sixpence - Adapt
12. Swallowing Shit - I May Be PC, But You're A Fucking Poseur
13. Swallowing Shit - Welcome To Hell
14. Swallowing Shit - I Heard Songs About Animal Rights Aren't Cool Anymore
15. Constatine Sankathi - In December
16. Drift - Words That Burn My Ears

And now one of the best compilations ever released in emo/screamo history: A Food Not Bombs Benefit LP. It was released by inchworm in 1994. I mean, just look at the tracklist and you'll know why I said this. It offers some of the best bands at that time, including Swing Kids, Indian Summer, Current and Finger Print. This is just insane!

VA - A Food Not Bombs Benefit LP (1994)
01. Ten Boy Summer - The History Of Blank Pages And The Conscious Decision To Discontinue The Tradition Our Gender Has Been Plagued With
02. Swing Kids - Disease
03. Campaign - Industry Slave
04. Indian Summer - Reflections On Milkweed
05. Starkweather - Mainline
06. Franklin - Slow Into Questionable
07. Finger Print - Surrender
08. Braille - Capitol
09. Half Man - Tripped Up
10. Promonition - Left Unsaid
11. Railhed - End Song
12. Current - Chairtied

4 comments:

  1. Al ways liked Inso Grey too!!! Great records ( I own them since High School, circa 1998) Best band on the Anima FOOD NOT BOMBS for me is SIX PENCE, I never found emo hardcore that is so chilling and angry hahahahha nice mention to Quebec crawlers DRIFT (thats where i'm from!) and my pal Mike's old band SWALLOWING SHIT !!!! Thanx for your graet blog bud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Where can I get More Sixpence!
    Really could use a download of this right now.. got some major long drives coming up.
    saw this - Sixpence - Abreact 7" EP
    http://www.vinyl45lp.com/record/sixpence-abreact_.html
    but where can I download some

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Matthew, I can't find it either.

      Delete